In this article we will be considering “Will Software Engineers Be Needed In The Future”
What Is A Software?
A software is a set of instructions, data or programs used to operate computers and execute specific tasks. It is the opposite of hardware, which describes the physical aspects of a computer. Software is a generic term used to refer to applications, scripts and programs that run on a device.
According to Wikipedia a software is a set of computer programs and associated documentation and data. This is in contrast to hardware, from which the system is built and which actually performs the work.
Types of Software
- System Software
- Utility Software
- Application Software
Characteristics of a good software
- Accessibility: The degree to which a diverse group of people, including individuals who require adaptive technologies such as voice recognition and screen magnifiers, can comfortably use the software.
- Compatibility: The suitability of the software for use in a variety of environments, such as with different OSes, devices and browsers.
- Efficiency: The ability of the software to perform well without wasting energy, resources, effort, time or money.
- Functionality: Software’s ability to carry out its specified functions.
- Installability: The ability of the software to be installed in a specified environment.
- Localization: The various languages, time zones and other such features a software can function in.
- Maintainability: How easily the software can be modified to add and improve features, fix bugs, etc.
- Performance: How fast the software performs under a specific load.
- Portability: The ability of the software to be easily transferred from one location to another.
- Reliability: The software’s ability to perform a required function under specific conditions for a defined period of time without any errors.
- Scalability: The measure of the software’s ability to increase or decrease performance in response to changes in its processing demands.
- Security: The software’s ability to protect against unauthorized access, invasion of privacy, theft, data loss, malicious software, etc.
- Testability: How easy it is to test the software.
- Usability: How easy it is to use the software.
See More: “Techtarget.com”
What is Software engineering?
According to Wikipedia Software engineering is a systematic engineering approach to software development. A software engineer is a person who applies the principles of software engineering to design, develop, maintain, test, and evaluate computer software.
Software Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the development of software products. It operates within a set of principles, best practices, and methods that have been carefully honed throughout the years, changing as software and technology change.
Types of Software Engineering
- Video game designer: A video game designer imagines almost everything about a game, including its plots, characters, visual designs, and layouts.
- Quality assurance engineer: A QA engineer creates tests that identify issues with software before a product launch. These tests entail other tasks such as developing and running new tests and reporting their results to stakeholders, who will collaborate to fix program bugs or problems
- CRM project manager: The CRM (Customer Relationship Management) Project Manager handles relationship marketing for a company’s website. He designs, improves and manages initiatives that reinforce the company’s customer relations, such as websites, apps and call centers.
- Software integration engineer: A software integration engineer is a software engineer who specializes in building software applications that focus on integrating with multiple systems. A software integration engineer is well versed in software development, integration patterns, network protocols, security, and databases.
- Security engineer: They resolve problems with technology such as IT software and equipment. Specifically, security engineers install firewalls, implement breach detection systems, and work with other professionals to solve security-related problems. Security engineers also conduct assessments, test security systems, and analyze risks.
- Front-end engineer: Front end engineers plan, design, build, and implement the user interface systems of websites, software programs, and web-based applications. Their primary goal is to provide a satisfactory user experience with no issues, errors, or downtime.
- Full-stack engineer: A full-stack engineer is a high-level software engineer that works to design, test, and implement various software applications. They create software, applications, and scalable web services, while also providing leadership for coding teams.
- 3D Graphics Developer: A three-dimensional (3D) graphics artist designs digital animation or footage that is used for characters, landscapes, backgrounds and other elements in film, television or video game production.
- Data Scientist: In simple terms, a data scientist’s job is to analyze data for actionable insights. Specific tasks include: Identifying the data-analytics problems that offer the greatest opportunities to the organization. Determining the correct data sets and variables.
- Mobile Developer: Mobile developers are a type of software developer. They specialize in mobile technology such as building apps for Google’s Android, Apple’s iOS and Microsoft’s Windows Phone platforms. For this reason job titles for this type of role also include Android developer and iOS developer.
- DevOps Engineer: A DevOps engineer introduces processes, tools, and methodologies to balance needs throughout the software development life cycle, from coding and deployment, to maintenance and updates.
- Back End Engineer: What is a Backend Engineer? A backend engineer is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the server-side of web applications. In other words, a backend engineer’s primary responsibility is to build the structure of a software application.
Who Is A Software Engineer?
A software engineer is a person who applies the principles of software engineering to design, develop, maintain, test, and evaluate computer software.
A computer software engineer develop programs and operating systems for computers. They work with system programmers, analysts, and other engineers to design systems, project capabilities, and determine performance interfaces.
A computer software engineer also analyze user needs, provide consultation services to discuss design elements, and coordinate software installation. Designing software systems requires engineers to consider mathematical models and scientific analysis to project outcomes.
Characteristics Of A Good Software Engineer
- Positive Attitude. A great programmer is ambitious and eager to do their best
- Good Communication Skills
- Time and Task Management
- Quick Learning
- Technical Experience
- A Good Team Player
- End-User Focus.
- Knowledge of the full stack
- Ability to learn, adapt and grow
- Business acumen
- Time management
Will Software Engineers Be Needed In The Future?
- Software Engineers write and test programs by maintaining software aesthetics, security preferences, and ideal user intent functionality. So, a software engineer is essential for development. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that demand for software engineers may increase to 22% by 2029.
- The global demand for software engineers in 2022 is still at an all-time high as job postings soar. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that software development employment will likely grow by 22% between 2020 and 2030.
- Demand for software professionals will continue to grow as long as employers enjoy demand for their products and services. FAANG and Tier-1 companies pay software engineers top salaries because they can afford to pay above-average salaries to attract and retain top talent
Software Engineer Salary For Google
- The average Google Software Engineer earns $156,806 annually, which includes a base salary of $121,898 with a $34,908 bonus. This total compensation is $49,667 more than the US average for a Software Engineer. Software Engineer salaries at Google can range from $80,746 – $430,000 with equity ranging from 0-100K+.
- Average Google Software Engineer yearly pay in the United States is approximately $152,341, which is 42% above the national average.
Software Engineer Salary Vs Cyber Security
Salaries can range depending on where you live, but full-time cybersecurity jobs are on the rise everywhere. Software engineers earn slightly more than cybersecurity professionals; the BLS found the 2021 median pay to be $120,990 per year or $58.05 per hour for a freelance programmers’ income.
Difference Between A Software and Cyber Security Engineer
They both design and develop computer programs. The difference is that security engineers work exclusively in developing computer solutions to increase the security of an organization’s systems, while software engineers work on projects from app development to writing website code.