In this article we will be considering “Information Technology Vs Computer Science degree”.
What Is Information Technology?
- According to Wikipedia Information technology is the use of computers to create, process, store, retrieve, and exchange all kinds of data and information. IT forms part of information and communications technology.
- Information Technology means the use of hardware, software, services, and supporting infrastructure to manage and deliver information using voice, data, and video.
Types Of Information Technology And Their Applications
- Knowledge Work System: There are different knowledge management systems that an organization implements to ensure a continuous flow of new and updated knowledge into the company and its processes
- Management Information System:The management information system provides aid to managers by automating different processes that were initially done manually. Business activities like business performance tracking and analysis, making business decisions, making a business plan, and defining workflow
- Decision Support System: A decision support system is an information system that analyses business data and other information related to the enterprise to offer automation in decision-making or problem-solving.
- Office Automation System: An office automation system is an information system that automates different administrative processes like documenting, recording data, and office transactions, among others.
- Transaction Processing System: The transaction processing system automates the transaction collection, modification, and retrieval process. The peculiar characteristic of this type of information system is that it increases the performance, reliability and consistency of business transactions.
- Executive Support System: An Executive Support System or ESS helps top-level executives to plan and control workflow and make business decisions. It is very similar to Management Information System or MIS.
6 (six) Examples Of Information Technology
- Telephone and radio equipment.
- Performance management software for managing goal setting and performance review.
- Software for word processing and spreadsheets.
- Video conferencing equipment.
- Personal computers.
- Content management software for blogging and collaboration.
Importance Of Information Technology
- The number one benefit of information technology is that it empowers people to do what they want to do.
- It lets people be creative.
- It lets people be productive
- It lets people learn things they didn’t think they could learn before, and so in a sense, it is all about potential.”
- Information technology helps to build and grow the commerce and business sector and generate the maximum possible output.
- The time taken by different sectors to generate business is now minimized with advancements in Information technology.
- It provides electronic security, storage, and efficient communication.
- Provides A More Engaged Learning Environment
Career Opportunities In Information Technology
- IT technician
- Support specialist
- Quality assurance tester
- Web developer
- IT security specialist
- Computer programmer
- Systems analyst
- Network engineer
- Software engineer
- User experience designer
- Database administrator
- Data scientist
- Computer scientist
- IT director
- Applications engineer
- Cloud system engineer
- Data quality manager
- Help desk technician
- IT coordinator
- Management information systems director
- Web administrator
What Is Computer Science?
- According to Wikipedia Computer science is the study of computation, automation, and information. Computer science spans theoretical disciplines to practical disciplines. Computer science is generally considered an area of academic research and distinct from computer programming.
- Computer science is the study of computers, including computational theory, hardware and software design, algorithms and the way humans interact with technology.
- Computer Science is the study of computers and computing, including their theoretical and algorithmic foundations, hardware and software, and their uses for processing information.
Development of computer science
Computer science emerged as an independent discipline in the early 1960s, although the electronic digital computer that is the object of its study was invented some two decades earlier. The roots of computer science lie primarily in the related fields of mathematics, electrical engineering, physics, and management information systems.
Importance Of Computer Science
- The most important aspect of computer science is problem solving, an essential skill for life. Students study the design, development and analysis of software and hardware used to solve problems in a variety of business, scientific and social contexts.
- Computers are everywhere. There’s not an industry out there that isn’t using data and computer technology on a daily basis.
- Computer Science is financially rewarding.
- Choice of specialisms.
- Global opportunities.
- Develop transferable skills.
- Unlock your creative side.
- To predict the future.
- To improve the world.
Career Opportunities For Computer Science Grads
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning engineer.
- Business analyst.
- Chief information security officer.
- Cloud computing engineer.
- Computer science professor.
- Computer scientist or computer science researcher.
- Data scientist.
- Database administrator.
Information Technology Vs Computer Science degree
Personally if your someone who enjoys programming/coding you should go for the computer science degree.